Winter Do’s and Don’ts Involving Your Car
When Winter arrives so do the potential dangers for drivers. But by following the correct do’s and don’ts you can prevent accidents happening. In this blog we look at the top motoring tips to keep you safe this winter.
- Remember to keep items in your vehicle in the case of ice. Such as a bottle of De-Icer, ice scraper, and a cloth to wipe the inside of your windscreen. This will make sure you are completely prepared for those frosty mornings.
- Double check your car battery. This is a crucial step as a flat car battery is one of the most common causes of breakdowns during the winter period. Here at Off Rhodes Garage we can complete a full battery inspection, making sure your car is in tip top condition.
- Be prepared for brake downs. If you were to breakdown you must make sure you have the right tools with you. By packing a winter emergency kit, you have precautions in place if you were to breakdown in cold conditions.
- Do not use boiling water on your windscreen. Although it may seem like the easiest solution to clearing ice quickly. A sudden change in temperature could cause your windscreen to crack. Instead stick to using an ice scraper or de-icer.
- Don’t ignore weather conditions, one of the main causes of accidents in winter is due to black ice. That’s why it’s important to make sure you keep an eye on the weather reports and make sure to drive carefully especially in icy conditions.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended. You may have started your car to heat up then realised you have left your ice scraper in the house. The worst thing you can do is leave the keys in the ignition and head back inside, even if it’s just for a second this gives plenty of time for someone to drive away with your car.
Winter can be a difficult time for road users which is why it’s best to make sure your car is in correct working order. Talk to us here at Off Rhodes garage about our Winter Vehicle Service. Please call 01748 811 500 or visit our website: www.offrhodesgarage.co.uk.